Wednesday 10 July 2013

Imagine My Shock!

Imagine My Shock!

 

Wow, you talk/ look/ laugh/ walk just like your Dad!

Familiar, right?  I'm getting a little nostalgic and misty-eyed here. You see, my mum used to speak to herself especially in the shower. I disliked  it. Well, I just found out I'm doing same! Ok, I'm a little worried about this one (I got other things from her too) and I know what you're thinking: big deal. I mean, it's not that bad! :(

My mum could also obsess for the whole world! And I have come to acknowledge that it's usually hard for me to achieve anything great without being just a little bit obsessed with it. Infact,  I've always believed obsession can lead to greatness! :) But when exactly can we say obsession is too much? Ok, I know what you're going to say, don't bother - I'm learning to take things slowly.

Fair enough. I get it. It's isn't really a bad thing to take after one's parent(s) - some of these traits have been  beneficial to us but I also know  some  may emerge problematic to us and our relationships with others. Either way, we should be thankful for having had the opportunity to learn from their imperfections. Come to think of it, we weren't even given the priviledge to choose what gene to  accept or reject - there was no way to know which traits would eventually pop up in us. I hope, this brings you some comfort. I know it does for me. 

PS: Please keep in mind that this post is not intended to keep fueling the need to place the blame on our parents for every wrong thing going on in our lives, but rather, to gain a better understanding of our own behaviour.

So, let's get a little chatty here - what trait(s) from your parents have helped you become a better person and which would you rather do without?

Much love
Ibe

No comments:

Post a Comment