Friday 19 July 2013

Gratitude Doesn't Even Describe It - PART 2

Life on the sick bed wasn't all medicines, IVs and injections. On my bedside table were several get well cards. There was the ever squeaking shoes of the nurses. They also giggled and laughed all the time at their station even when people were dying! Anyone who has been in the hospital, even if it's just overnight, knows that you never sleep very well because almost every hour a nurse comes in and has to do something! :) Then there was me in that odd gown and sweet-smelling talcum powder all over my body because I could get bedsores from prolonged immobility. 

This hospital, like most, was spotlessly clean yet, I could smell sickness and disinfectant in the air - I was assaulted by it from the first day I was brought in in that wheelchair. But it paled in comparism to the real problem - there were injured people everywhere. Some of them would never get better. I knew because I saw it in their eyes! 

I'd been sleeping one night when I first became aware of the commotion. Distant and muffled cries coming from down the hall. I could barely make out the words. "She's dead o" Voice one said. Then, "Where's her mum?" Voice two asked. I glanced over but I couldn't really see anything as I was tied to the bed. At that point, I just wished I could go for a walk to clear my head.

There were happier times too. One time, I had my close friends visit and we relieved funny stories. Funny images were planted in my head and the follow-through was tears streaming down my face from laughing so hard!

To be continued ...

2 comments:

  1. Hmmmmmmmm,dat period was nt funny at all,but Glory be to GoD it's all history now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it wasn't funny. Thank God it's history!

      Delete