Wednesday, 13 November 2013

Making Life Work



I have challenges to overcome, dreams, plans I need to align with God's will (this is actually the tasking part!) and of course a lot of little stuff in between. Most pertinent is an issue I have to make peace with in few days. So when this Lady who didn’t know me told me “You look good”, it was definitely well received! I left home this morning late for work, with no make-up and a bit down but suddenly with that compliment, I was grateful! I’d like to say Gratitude has worked for me. I can’t emphasize enough how important it is. No matter how many pleasant things I do, if I‘m not grateful, I will always see things negatively.

I'm trying not to sound like it's all that easy but here's the thing - If you're grateful and you think life is going to get better, it will become a self-fulfilling prophecy. But I know some of us are just not naturally that way. What are we then to do? I believe gratitude can be learned, that we can teach ourselves to see a half-empty glass as half-full. All we have to do is spend time mulling over all the things that have gone right for us, rather than dwelling on what has gone badly.  I discussed something similar in a previous post – here.

You might as well know that dwelling on negative events can lead to depression while dwelling on things that have gone well can help pick you up. Whenever you get the feeling of being negative about things, just take a moment out and be grateful to God for the stuff that has gone well. It could be anything from a conversation to your teeth looking nice :) or even that it didn't rain on you when you were out on a bike.





No comments:

Post a Comment